Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Open letter, part 2: Response from Matthaios

"Words only have power in that they are a product of consensus--that is, they allow ideas to be conveyed."

That a word's power lies in its ability to convey an idea, I agree. If Wicca has no definition, if it conveys nothing, then what power or meaning does it have?

I wonder why you take such offense to what I've written? Who am I to you? Why does my opinion matter to you at all? Why do you care if I'd consider you a Wiccan?

I hold to my opinion because I think there needs to be some distinction between what the stereotypical teenager does after skimming through some poorly made websites on Wicca and what a person who has done some serious magical work over a period of years in honor of the Gods. To say what they're both doing is Wicca and is, therefore, in some way, the same, is a lie to one and an insult to another.

If there is someone who has put in the years of work yet does not match up to all eight characteristics, then I would have to ask why using the word Wicca and not some other word (even just "Witch", or "Magician", or "Cunning person") is so important. But, that's just my opinion.

I'm curious to know what your definition of Wicca would be.

Matthaios

No comments:

Post a Comment